What is the TSI?
The TSI Assessment measures your strengths and weaknesses in mathematics and statistics, reading and writing, and is an indicator of how ready you are to handle college-level courses. The results of the assessment, in conjunction with your academic background, goals, and interests, are used by academic advisors to place you in the appropriate course that matches your skill level. The goal is to help you become ready for college-level course work. There are THREE sections to the TSI including Math, Reading, and Writing.
Who needs to take it?
Every student planning to attend college needs to take it unless they meet score requirements on external assessments such as the SAT or ACT. You can be exempt from one or all three sections.
- A minimum score of 530 on the Mathematics test for a TSI exemption in math
- A minimum score of 480 on the Evidenced-Based Reading & Writing (EBRW) for a TSI exemption in both reading and writing
A student must first achieve a minimum composite score of 23 with:
- At least 19 on math for an exemption in math and/or
- At least 19 on English for an exemption in reading and writing
Additional information is available at tinyurl.com/tsiexempt
Where and when can you take it?
- Take at HCC West Loop Center / 5601 W. Loop Houston, TX 77081 / 713-718-7717
- Need three hours to complete test (spring semester late arrival dates are ideal)
How can you prepare?
- HCC Reviews and Practice Tests at tinyurl.com/hcctsi
- Click About TSI to begin your Pre-Assessment (Pre-Assessment Activity needs to be completed and printed out before you take the TSI)
- Apex Tutorials in the HUB under Digital Resources
- Agree to Code of Conduct
- Go to Actions – Add Enrollment – Enter Code T3907222 – Refresh