Tips for NewcomersWelcome, New Texans!
The Lamar PTO Board has created these "Tips for Newcomers" to help you and your student have a smooth and successful transition to our wonderful community. Feel free to reach out to the Executive Board any time and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.STUDENT'S GRADUATING CLASS INFORMATION:
- Sign up for important communications about grade level events by filling out the PTO Membership Form.
- Check out these Class Committee pages on the PTO website. 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
- Class Committees are a great resource for course information, parent meetings, graduating class fundraisers, and volunteer opportunities.
- Familiarize yourself with the Lamar High School website.
- Visit the Lamar PTO webpage often to learn about upcoming events, volunteer opportunities, and contributions to students and staff.
- Click this link to find academic advising information specifically for new students and parents.
- Return to the Lamar website often, as new information is updated throughout the school year.
REVISED BELL SCHEDULE:8:20First Bell8:301st/5th Period10:03Bell10:102nd/6th Period10:25ADA11:45Lunch12:15Student Support/Advisory/Club Meetings/Faculty Meetings12:48Bell12:553rd/7th Period2:28Bell2:354th Period4:10DismissalUNIFORM & DRESS CODE:
While we are offering a more relaxed dress code to accommodate the financial insecurity of our families who are struggling, Lamar High School students will be required to meet the standards of dress while on campus.
Students will be expected to wear a blue, white or red Lamar shirt (collared or spirit t-shirt) and khaki bottoms. Those may be pre-ordered through our school store at https://www.schoolpay.com/link/SchoolUniforms.
Students who qualify for financial assistance will be provided with Lamar shirts to meet the standard of dress requirements.
You may request dress code support through our Business Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Review the Lamar Dress Code Policy here.
- Lamar approved apparel can also be purchased at Academic Outfitters - Pin Oak Centre, 5475 West Loop S #150
OFFICES AND ACADEMIC ADVISOR:
- Identify school offices and advisors.
- Advisors are located in the studen't neighborhood
- Parents must sign in at the Main Office before proceeding to an advisor's office.
- Sign up on the Academic Advisors Remind app, to receive notifications about upcoming academic events and new information reagrding your student's curriculum pathways.
- Click this link to find detailed information specifically for new students and parents, including Power Points, Schedules, Class information, etc.
GRADE & ATTENDANCE ALERTS:
- Answers to you questions about attendance, tardies, detention, etc. can be found in the Student Handbook.
- Set up an account on HISD's Parent Student Connect to get text messages and alerts on your child's grades, attendance, etc.
FIRST DAY TIPS:
- Follow the Lamar Traffic Plan for drop off and pickup. (available soon)
- Give yourself extra time for your school commute.
- After the first 2 weeks of school the logistics generally work themselves out.
- Please have patience when driving around Lamar.
- Watch for students crossing the street from the Metro bus stops near Lamar.
- Parking on the streets surrounding Lamar is prohibited.
- Parents may park in the visitor lot near the performance hall off of Westheimer.
- Only students with parking permits issued by Lamar may park in the student parking lot.
SPORTS & FINE ARTS:
- Students should bring laptops on Day 1.
- Teachers will give info on the type of notebooks, composition books, binders, or calulators needed.
- A spacious backpack is a must because Lamar does not have lockers, so laptops (in the case) and notebooks are carried with the student throughout the day.
- Be prepared with pens, highlighters, pencils, college ruled paper, and a folder or two for assignments and handouts.
- Planners are not supplied by the school so students may want to obtain those separately to stay organized.
JUNIORS & SENIORS:
- If your child is interested in participating in a sport or fine art elective, click on the following links for more information. Sports / Fine Art Elective.
- Plan to attend College Night in the Fall (check the PTO PTO Calendar for details).