|Phase 1 (Sept. 27 – Feb. 28, 2020)||Qualified in-district, TEA Eligible applications received during this phase will be entered into lotteries.|
|Phase 2 (Feb. 29 – onward)||Qualified in-district, TEA Eligible applications will be considered on a space available basis.|
|(June 21, 2020 – onward)|| TEA Non-Eligible (tuition-based) PK 4 and TEA Eligible PK 3 applications will be considered on a space available
|Notification||By midnight on June 1, 2020, notification of PK Phase 1 acceptance for Phase 1 applicants. Status will be viewable online and via email.|
Thank you, for your interest in HISD’s Magnet pre-kindergarten programs. We would like to update you on the state guidelines that support pre-kindergarten programming and enrollment in Texas.
To be eligible for enrollment in HISD non-tuition based pre-kindergarten program, a child must:
- be at least three years of age on or before September 1 of the current school year (if a 3-year-old program is available) or four years of age on or before September 1 of the current school year (if only a 4-year-old program is available and a resident of HISD.
- be unable to speak and comprehend the English language, or
- be economically disadvantaged (defined below), or
- meet any eligibility criteria for Head Start, or
- be homeless, as defined by [42 USC 11434a], or
- currently be or has ever been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services following an adversary hearing held as provided by Section 262.201, Family Code, or
- be the child of an active duty member of armed forces or child of an armed forces member injured, killed, or missing in action while on active duty, or
- be the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as a peace officer as defined in Section 3106.002, a firefighter as defined in Section 3106.003, or an emergency medical first responder as defined in Section 3106.004
If your child is not eligible for the HISD non-tuition based pre-kindergarten program and you have applied for a Magnet pre-kindergarten program for the 2020-2021 school year, your application will be labeled as “qualified pending." A “qualified pending” applicant will not be considered until after all eligible students have been offered service and a determination of space availability has been made by the Office of School Choice at a future date.
Prekindergarten students can be enrolled into the following programs:
Dual Language Programs: The dual language program provides instruction in English and Spanish. A combination of native Spanish speakers and native English speakers are taught together in an effort to develop full bilingualism and biliteracy for both groups of students.
Language Immersions: A minimum of 50% to a maximum of 80% of daily instruction in the non-English language. In a 50/50 model, both languages of instruction must be distributed equally throughout each day, not alternating days or weeks. Therefore, each language will be allocated in a continuous, uninterrupted block so that 50% of the day is taught in English and 50% is taught in another language.
Montessori Programs: The Montessori program emphasizes highly personalized learning for each child to develop his/her own interests and full potential. Every classroom is equipped with special materials designed to work with the whole child to develop social skills, emotional growth, physical coordination, and cognition. Applications for the Montessori program must be submitted through the HISD Magnet office.