2014 Summer Guide
Are you looking for fun, inexpensive things to do this summer? Many of the museums in Houston have free admission times or are always free! Volunteering is a great way to teach your children to give back to the community -- it's a free activity that reaps the reward of knowing you did something to help people in need. Below you'll find lists of museums and volunteer opportunities, along with a calendar of family-friendly events around the city. Most of the events are free, but a few have admission fees. We'll be adding events often, so be sure to check back to see what's new!
Museums Many museums in Houston are always free! They include: Free general admission during specific times on Thursdays:
- Buffalo Soldiers National Museum: 1-5 p.m.
- Children’s Museum of Houston: 5-8 p.m.
- The Health Museum: 2-5 p.m.
- The John C. Freeman Weather Museum: 12-4 p.m.
- Holocaust Museum: 2-5 p.m.
- Houston Museum of Natural Science:
3-6 p.m. in summer; 2-5 p.m. in winter
- Museum of Fine Arts, Houston: 10 a.m.-9 p.m.
Other museums offer free admission at other times:
- Czech Center Museum Houston:
free last Monday of the month from 12-4 p.m.
Volunteer Opportunities Camps Looking for summer camps for your child? Here are some websites that can help you find ones that match your child’s interests.