How to Address a Campus Concern

  • When you have a concern about a school policy or employee, follow the steps outlined here to resolve the issue in a productive and positive manner.
    1. Contact the person you have a complaint about and discuss the issue.
    2. If the problem persists, contact the principal.
    3. If still unresolved, contact the Parent Community Assistance Office at (713) 556-7121 or at
    4. Allow 48-72 business hours after reporting your complaint, for updates.