Which School Should My Child Attend?

  • HISD is focused on providing safe and secure schools where students can excel academically and prepare for college and meaningful careers. HISD is a district of choice, providing a diverse portfolio of educational options. Families can choose from strong neighborhood schools, magnet and specialized programs, Montessori, early college high schools, programs for gifted and talented students, and career and technical academies.  
    Below, find out which schools serve your address; view boundary maps and school information; and learn about other options and school transfers.
    student Attendance Zones for Neighborhood Schools

    Each residence within the district is assigned to a specific "feeder pattern" composed of a specific elementary, middle, and high school.

    To determine which schools serve your residence, please click on Select a School  at the top of this page or call the Student Transfer Department at 713-556-6734. For more information, you can also view school boundary maps.


    Families living within HISD may apply to have their child transferred to a school other than their "zoned" campus. Transfers are available for students wishing to attend specialized schools or programs, as well as those with special circumstances. 

    Out-of-District Transfers
    Out-of-district transfers may be possible on a "space available" and tuition basis for students residing outside of HISD. All out-of-district transfers, including Vanguard and HISD charter school and contract programs, require approval of the principal and superintendent of schools. 
    When the school of choice accepts a student from outside its attendance zone, HISD requires that parents agree to keep the student at the chosen school for the entire school year, and parents must assume responsibility for the student's transportation.
    For information about available space, the application process, and eligibility for transfers, call the school in which you are interested or the Student Transfer Department at 713-556-6734.