General InformationEMERGE currently operates at all HISD high schools and recruits 10th grade students each year. Competitive applicants are economically-disadvantaged and generally the first in their family to graduate from a four-year college or university. They must have a strong academic profile that includes getting good grades in rigorous courses.
Information Sessions will be delivered at every HISD high school campus by EMERGE staff.Application ComponentsPhase 1: Application (February 15th - May 15th)
Phase 2: Finalist Interviews (TBD)*
- Student & Family Background
- Extracurricular Involvement
- Short Response Questions
- Personal Essays
There will be an Orientation for new students and their families.
*Note: Not every student who applies will move on to the second phase (finalist interviews). Thousands of highly-qualified students apply for a limited number of spots with EMERGE-HISD.Evaluation CriteriaEMERGE evaluates prospective applicants holistically. There are no minimum test scores or GPA. We look for students with:
- A strong academic profile who seek challenging courses.
- Drive, perseverance, curiosity, humility, and gratitude.
- Extracurricular involvement and leadership potential.
- Limited financial means.
- A first-generation college background. This means that the student will be among the first generation in their family to attend and graduate from college.
*dates may shift