General InformationEMERGE currently operates at all HISD high schools and recruits 10th grade students each year. Competitive applicants are economically-disadvantaged and generally the first in their family to graduate from a four-year college or university. They must have a strong academic profile that includes getting good grades in rigorous courses.
Information Sessions will be delivered at every HISD high school campus by EMERGE staff.Application ComponentsPhase 1: Application (March 31st - May 23rd)
Phase 2: Finalist Interviews (June 20th - July 21st)*
- Student & Family Background
- Extracurricular Involvement
- Short Response Questions
- Personal Essays
- EMERGE-HISD will host an Interview Day on Saturday, February 1. If you receive a finalist interview and are unable to attend on this day, we will coordinate an interview date and time with your high school campus.
Final decisions are expected to be released in early August
Follow by an Orientation for new students and their families.
*Note: Not every student who applies will move on to the second phase (finalist interviews). Thousands of highly-qualified students apply for a limited number of spots with EMERGE-HISD.Evaluation CriteriaEMERGE evaluates prospective applicants holistically. There are no minimum test scores or GPA. We look for students with:
- A strong academic profile who seek challenging courses.
- Drive, perseverance, curiosity, humility, and gratitude.
- Extracurricular involvement and leadership potential.
- Limited financial means.
- A first-generation college background. This means that the student will be among the first generation in their family to attend and graduate from college.
*dates may shift
Each year EMERGE-HISD welcomes a new cohort of exceptional EMERGE fellows. We are excited that you have chosen to apply, and look forward to reading your application!
The application deadline is May 5th, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
**Deadline extended to May 23rd at 11:59pm**
There are typically far more interested students than spots available, so we highly encourage you to put your best effort into your application. We suggest students dedicate 2-3 hours to complete this application.
Watch a Recorded EMERGE-HISD Recruitment Session!
Nominate a student
If there is a student who you believe may be a good fit for the EMERGE-HISD program, consider nominating them by completing a nomination form. Nominations are not a requirement, and nominated students must submit an application to be considered.