Texas law requires approaching drivers to stop when a school bus is stopped and operating a visual signal (red flashing lights or a stop sign). Drivers should not proceed until the bus resumes motion; the driver is signaled by the bus driver to proceed; or the visual signal is no longer activated.A driver does not have to stop for a school bus if it is on a highway with roadways separated by an intervening space or physical barrier. If a highway is divided only by a left-turning lane and the roadways are not separated, drivers must stop for school buses.Punishment for drivers who do not stopDrivers who do not stop for school buses face a fine of up to $1,000. If a driver is convicted of this offense more than one time, DPS can suspend their license for up to six months.For more information on school bus safety, please contact the Texas DPS' Public Information Office at 512-424-2080. More information is also located at the Texas Department of Public Safety's website.Parents
- Parents are strongly encouraged to make bus stops safer by escorting children to the bus stop.
- Talk about bus safety with your child.
- Escort your child to the bus stop in the morning.
- Be early! Arrive at least 10 minutes ahead of time.
- Wait for the bus in an orderly manner.
- Wait for the driver's signal before crossing the street.
- Cross the street at least ten feet in front of the bus.
- Never walk behind or crawl under a school bus.
- Never go back to the bus for anything you may have dropped or left behind.
- Never run to or from the bus.
- Remove or secure drawstrings, straps, and the like, or any piece of clothing or accessory (book bag, etc.) that could get caught in the bus door or hand rails.
- Always obey the driver.
- Stay in your seat.
- Keep your hands, arms, and head inside the bus.
- Be on the lookout for children. They can appear suddenly and without notice out from behind stopped school buses.
- Please obey the posted speed limit in school zones. Children may be present in the area at any time, but are especially present when the lights on the school zone sign are flashing.
- Please keep your eyes out for crossing guards when children are walking to and from school. Failure to stop for a crossing guard carries the same penalty as failure to stop for a traffic light or a stop sign.
- When the yellow warning lights on the bus flash, this lets motorists know that the bus will be stopping to load or unload students. Please slow down and prepare to stop instead of speeding up to pass the bus.