950 buses • 36,000 students • 87,000 miles a day
Are you ready to join the Transportation team at HISD?
The HISD Transportation Department provides students with safe, professional and efficient transportation. Every day, our team provides transportation to and from school as well as educational field trips, athletic competitions, and events. Coordination of these events requires a great group of professional bus drivers, a competent support staff and a well-maintained bus fleet.
HISD Transportation is the largest single district provider of school bus service in the state of Texas. The department employs more than 1,200 employees and has roughly 1,000 buses in service. It uses 950 buses to transport approximately 36,000 students to and from school daily, traveling more than 87,000 miles a day and about 18 million miles each year.
If you're looking for a way to help serve the children of your community in a rewarding career, you've come to the right place! HISD is looking for the best individuals to become a part of our transportation team. For recruitment and retention, HISD is allocating the largest portion of its funds, $135.91 million, for a yearly $2,500 recruitment/retention stipend for teachers and other staff on the teacher pay table which would be paid out in two installments at the end of each semester as well as a $500 retention stipend paid annually in September to all returning employees.
- CDL training classes
- Starting pay at $18.00 hourly
- Guaranteed minimum of 5 hours per day
- Health, dental, vision and other benefit options
- Teachers Retirement System participation
- 403 (b) retirement plan options
APPLICANT MUST BRING TO JOB FAIR:
- Valid Texas Driver’s License
- Social Security Card
DURING THE JOB FAIR, APPLICANTS CAN EXPECT:
- On-site Interviews
- Drug Testing
- Motor Vehicle Record Review
The HISD Transportation is offering a $2,000 sign on stipend to the first 120 CDL drivers (re-hires are not eligible) hired between June 1st, to August 22nd, 2022. In order to qualify for the sign on stipend the CDL Drivers are first required to complete the following items:
- Pass a DOT Physical/Drug Screen
- Meet the standards of a Motor Vehicle Record check (MVR)
- Meet the District requirements of a cleared Criminal Background History through fingerprinting
- Pass the FMCSA Drug and Alcohol Clearing House
- Complete all new hire employee authorization forms/paperwork with HISD Human Resource Department
- Must pass all 5 Department of Transportation CDL written tests (Texas Commercial Rules, General Knowledge, Air Brake, Passenger and School Bus)
- Pass the Department of Transportation CDL Road Test
- Satisfy Part 1 Requirement of ELDAT
- Obtain an official HISD Employee Identification Number
- Candidate must complete a Minimum of thirty hours of behind-the-wheel training including the following courses offered by HISD Safety Training Department: CPI Training, School Bus SPED Certification.
- Satisfy Part II Requirement of ELDAT
- Serve as an eligible bus driver, driving students to and from school 60 driving days from the date of hire
JOB FAIR DATES
Barnett Stadium, 6700 Fairway Dr. Houston, TX 77087
Saturday, June 25th, 2022
Of course, we are looking for the best to provide safe, reliable, and punctual transportation for our students. Therefore, we require the following:
If you think you've got what it takes to be a part of our team, contact Transportation Human Resources at 713-613-3068 for more information.
- At least 18 years of age
- Valid Texas driver's license
- Ability to pass a background investigation
- Motor Vehicle Report below 6 points
- Ability to pass drug/alcohol screening
- Ability to pass DOT physical
- Ability to communicate in English orally and in writing
- Customer service orientation