How Parents Can Get Help for Their Children


  • Your child's school counselor (or school nurse, if there is no counselor) can help you find psychological services. The psychologists of the HISD Psychological Services Department will visit your child at school in an emergency, for example, the possibility of suicide.
  • The following are some of the community agencies that provide psychological services to children and adolescents:

DePelchin Children's Center                                                                          713.730.2335
Family Service Center/El Centro Familiar                                                        713.867.7742
Mental Health/Mental Retardation Authority of Harris County                            713.970.7070
University of Houston Psychological Research & Services Center                     713.743.8600
El Centro de Corazon                                                                                    713.926.1849

  • All of these agencies are "not-for-profit" and charge according to the client's ability to pay.
  • For more resources, call the Mental Health America Houston at 713.522.5161, or go to
  • Two helpful sources of information on children's psychological problems are:

American Psychological Association at

National Association of School Psychologists at