Houston ISD Early Colleges
Early College High Schools (ECHS) are innovative high schools that allow students least likely to attend college an opportunity to earn a high school diploma and 60 college credit hours. Early College High Schools:
Products for all Early College High Schools
- provide dual credit at no cost to students
- offer rigorous instruction and accelerated courses
- provide academic and social support services to help students succeed
- increase college readiness, and
- reduce barriers to college access.
Under the authority of Texas Education Code (TEC) §29.908(b) and Texas Administrative Code (TAC) §102.1091, the TEA developed a designation process for Early College High Schools. The designation process ensures that districts and colleges operating ECHS campuses maintain the integrity of the model, which was researched and designed to target and serve students who might not otherwise attend college.
Below is a list of products for all Early College High Schools in Houston ISD
Products specific to each Early CollegeProducts specific to each Early College
- Academy's written admission policy and enrollment application.
- Academy's written communication plan for targeting identified audiences, parents, community members, school board, higher education personnel, etc.
- Final, signed, and executed MOU.
- Academy's school board and board of regents’ presentations
- Academy's 60 college credit hours crosswalk.
- Academy's written recruitment plan including a timeline of recruitment and enrollment events, and recruitment materials for distribution at feeder schools and other appropriate locations in the community
- Academy's brochures and marketing in Spanish, English, and/or other relevant language(s) .
- Academy's leadership meeting agendas and minutes
- Academy's description of each member and role in committee.
- Academy's calendar of family outreach events.
- Academy's professional learning community agendas and notes
- Academy's advisory/study skills curriculum material
- Academy's master schedules.
- Academy's calendar of TSI test administration dates.
- Academy's aggregate reports of TSI exam performance.
- Academy's tutoring and bridge program schedules
- Academy's Bridge Program curricula.
- Academy's mentor/induction program plans.
- Academy's annual training or professional development plan with ECHS and IHE faculty.
- Academy's leader/liaison meeting agendas and notes
- Academy's leadership team member bios