Call and Response is a strategy that uses group choral response to build energetic, positive engagement. You ask a question and students respond in unison. The primary goal is to review and reinforce academic content, invigorate the class, and reinforce your authority and command. The call and response practice lets students support and encourage the academic success of their peers with close direction from the teacher.
- Determine the lesson objective and the goal of using Call and Response in the lesson.
- Select the type of call (repeat, report, reinforce, review or solve) to use in the lesson. See Other Strategies for more details on each type.
- Model and practice the call cues with students.
- Implement the call in the lesson and allow the class to respond.
- Consistently implement the call in the current lesson or in future lessons (if applicable) to reinforce important content.