Non-Verbal Signals are quick and informative response actions performed by students. The use of these signals can prevent unnecessary disruptions, allowing the teacher to maintain lesson momentum. The signals also can be utilized to check for student understanding, permitting the teacher to accurately diagnose student misunderstanding at key moments during a lesson. Non-Verbal Signals is a practice that teachers can use to efficiently manage student requests as well as increase student participation.
- Identify simple non-verbal signals that students will use.
- Inform students of the reasons why signals will be used and what each signal signifies.
- Introduce and model each signal.
- Allow time for students to practice using the signals.
- Post signals, and implement signals immediately and consistently.