Purchasing Services Department
The Purchasing Services Department is a compliance service organization responsible for the acquisition of goods and services requisitioned by the district. The Purchasing Services Department consists of four functional areas which include Purchasing, MasterData (Vendor Master), ProCard, and Travel.
The Purchasing Services Department and campus and department employees involved in purchasing activities share the responsibility of expending district funds in accordance with applicable laws and regulations and safeguarding the public’s trust. Successful purchasing is a collaborative venture between the Purchasing Department and the schools and departments within the district.
The purpose of this document is to provide guidelines and procedures for all District employees involved in the procurement process, as well as offer practical and consistent solutions allowing employees to utilize best practices to assess their purchasing needs. Naturally, when a situation not fully covered in this document arises, end users should contact the Purchasing Department for guidance. We anticipate that the explanation of processes in this manual will offer end users greater insight on how the District’s procurement process works, where the responsibilities lie, and how the process is governed by laws, ethics and diligence of the Purchasing Services Department staff to be good stewards of taxpayer’s dollars.
The mission of the HISD Purchasing Services Department is to ensure the uninterrupted flow of goods and services needed to efficiently operate the district cost effectively and to achieve the district’s primary goal that is to increase student achievement.
Our schools and departments are considered customers, and our vendors are considered strategic-alliance partners. Our highest priority is to deliver total customer satisfaction. As a customer, our clients should expect the same extraordinary service and reliability as HISD Purchasing Services Department expects from its vendors. It is the job of Purchasing Services Department to ensure this is done every single day by every single vendor.
Goal & Objectives
It is the continuous goal of the Purchasing Services Department to support and be responsive to the needs of those we serve: the students, educators, and administrators of Houston ISD. Objectives include:
- Manage the uninterrupted flow of goods and services to meet the district’s needs.
- Maintain a position of leadership by striving to obtain quality products at the lowest cost in every area of our operation.
- Initiate and maintain effective and professional relationships with current and potential vendors.
- Contract with suppliers who bring value, cost effective solutions, quality products and excellent customer service to the District.
- Foster a spirit of community by encouraging local vendors to participate in the procurement process.
- Protect the financial integrity of the district through negotiations and sound procurement practices.
- Offer an unwavering support of the District’s mission statement and the investment in our student’s futures.
The Purchasing Services Department is responsible for facilitating the acquisition of goods and services for the district in compliance with state, federal, and local laws, and policies to ensure best practices and a level playing field as well as fair and equitable treatment for all vendors. Through this synergistic effort, both the vendor and HISD will benefit from working as business partners to strengthen the social and economic foundation of the district and the community at large.
The Purchasing Services Department supports the needs of campuses and departments by:
- Educating District employees involved in purchasing activities during face to face, virtual and one-and-one training opportunities sessions.
- Planning for future expenditures and budgetary purposes as well as procurement strategy.
- Procuring goods and services that provide the best value to the District while complying with federal, state, and local laws including district policies and guidelines.
- Achieving a reliable and timely delivery for the requesting campus or department.
- Promoting competition amongst vendor community.
- Ensuring equal opportunity for vendors to secure district business.
- Educating and informing vendors about district rules, regulations and methodology that are the foundation for obtaining a contract award.