Legislative Advisory Committee
Mission: The task of the HISD Legislative Advisory Committee is to learn how federal, state, and local governmental action impacts the District, to connect with parents, teachers, administrators, taxpayers, and students, empowering them to advocate for the HISD community and provide recommendations on state and federal policy to include in HISD’s legislative priorities that will be adopted by the HISD Board of Education.
Committee Chair: Director of Government Relations
Committee Description/Purpose: The purpose of the committee is to assist in developing the HISD’s federal and state legislative priorities and to provide feedback to the Government Relations department throughout the federal and state legislative sessions.
Committee Membership: The committee is made up of 65 members from 9 different stakeholder groups:
- 6 Elementary Teachers – Appointed by Area School Offices
- 6 Middle School Teachers – Appointed by Area School Offices
- 6 High School Teachers – Appointed by Area School Offices
- 6 Other campus Staff – Appointed by Area School Offices
- 6 Principals – Appointed by Area School Offices
- 10 Central Administrative Staff – Appointed by Cabinet
- 9 Community Members – Appointed by Board of Education
- 6 Parents – Appointed by Superintendent
- 10 Students (grades 10th – 11th) – Appointed by Superintendent
Please click on the application link on the top right of the page to be considered for an appointment. If you are a community member interested in applying for an appointment by the HISD Board of Education, please reach out to your trustee for additional appointment information.
Meetings/Estimated Time Commitment: The LAC meets every month except for July and August.
Terms/Term Limits: Members serve in two-year commitment beginning every odd school year. All members must reapply every two years.
Appointment Timeframe: On September 1 of every odd year of every odd-numbered school year. Individual seats that have been vacated may be filled throughout the year.
Note: Inaugural appointments will begin their term on October 1, 2021.
In order to best represent the stakeholders in HISD, the committee is made up of classroom teachers from all levels, other specialized staff members from all levels, campus principals, central administration staff members, high school students (10th and 11th grade), parents, and other community members.
Terms of Membership
- The committee term will be organized on a two-year legislative cycle.
- Committee members are selected for one two-year term beginning in September of odd-numbered years and ending in August the following odd-numbered year.
- There are no term limits, but all members must re-apply after each term.
- Committee member selection will begin in August of odd-numbered years.
- The committee will present legislative priority recommendations to the Government Relations Department in November for federal priorities and November of even-numbered years for state priorities.
All members will agree to commit to the following guidelines in order to secure their ongoing position with the Legislative Advisory Committee:
- Attendance at no less than 70% of full committee meetings
- Meetings will be held on the first Tuesday of every month except for July and August
- Commitment to the purpose of serving in an advisory capacity to the HISD Government Relations Department and administration regarding legislative priorities aligned with the HISD’s mission to equitably educate the whole child so that every student graduates with the tools to reach their full potential.
- Commitment to established committee norms, including:
- Maintaining a positive tone at meetings
- Working in the best interest of the District as a whole
- Agreement to not focus on a concern unless a solution can be offered
- Agreement to listen respectfully and consider matters from others’ perspectives