- How can I get to know students' personal stories?
- How can I discover information about each student's literacy?
- How can I monitor my students' progress?
Why It Works
- There is great diversity in students’ literacy skills. Get to Know Me tools include surveys, quick writes, and creative assignments.
- Knowing the students as individual learners helps teachers plan more meaningful lessons.
- Researchers confirm that students learn more when teachers give specific, timely feedback and an opportunity to improve based on that feedback.
- Quick Write
- Proficiency ratings
- Quick Sort Protocol
- Student Conferences*
* = PSD effective practices
How to Implement This Routine
Get to know students' personal stories, learning histories, and preferences.
Discover and document information about literacy status.
Create student learner profiles.
Assess students' prior knowledge for each unit.
Plan extra support or extension.