Addressing the Board at Board Meetings
The Board of Education welcomes members of the community to speak on subjects related to the school district. Community members can address the board in one of two ways:
- Speakers to Agenda Items - During any board meeting, people may speak about items on the agenda for that meeting.
- Hearing of the Community - During the regular monthly board meeting, people may speak about a district-related subject not covered by an item on the meeting agenda.
To comply with state and local requirements during the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency, and to protect the health of our community, the Hattie Mae White Administration Building is closed and board meetings are being conducted on line.
The procedures have changed.
- Forms have been updated. Speakers should leave a telephone number when registering. District staff will call registered speakers and place them in a Zoom virtual waiting room until time for them to speak. Speakers may also submit written comments to be read publicly by a member of the district’s administration in case there is a problem with Zoom. To submit written comments, you will type your comments into a text box in the form, and your comments will be read aloud during the meeting exactly as you have typed them.
- The rules regarding comments are the same as if the meeting were held in person.
- TIME LIMIT: Per board policy BED(LOCAL), speakers to agenda items are limited to up to two minutes, regardless of the number of items for which they have registered. NOTE: Two minutes is approximately 300 words.
- Stay on topic and refrain from naming individuals, especially students, as their identity is protected under law.
- No abusive statements or threats of confrontation are permitted.
How to Register to Speak/Provide Comments
People must register in advance to speak/provide comments at Board of Education meetings. Registration opens 72 hours before the meeting start time.
- To comment on a specific agenda item, please complete this online form no later than 9:30 a.m. the day of the meeting.
- To provide a comment during the Hearing of the Community, please register on line here no later than 9:30 a.m. the day of the regular monthly meeting.
People who wish to register by email may do so by completing this form and sending it to BoardServices@houstonisd.org. Please note that the deadlines listed above still apply. ALL handouts must be emailed no later than 9:30 a.m. the day of the meeting.