HASL Mission Statement:
The Houston Association of School Librarians (HASL) promotes professional growth among HISD librarians through the exchange of ideas. Since 1971, HASL has advocated on behalf of HISD libraries and recognized outstanding librarians in the district by honoring the HISD Librarian of the Year. HASL strives to make school libraries places of learning and personal enrichment for students through training, volunteering, advocating, and supporting librarians all over the district.HASL/HISD Librarian of the Year and Related Awards
Celeste Cooper - Meyerland PVA
Mary Chance - Hogg MS
Lynn Pharr - Neff ES
Karen Kratoville - JP Henderson ES
Cynthia Ramos - East Early College
Stephanie Hatley - TH Rogers MS
Rowena Verdin - Milby
Melina Flores - Herrera
Jo Ann Reed - Scroggins
Angela Kirkendoll - MLK Early Childhood
Julie Campbell - Oak Forest
Willie Mae Wilson - Bastian
Elizabeth Eastman - River Oaks
Melinda Zeagler - Bell ES
The criteria for nominations are:
1. An HISD principal, administrator, teacher, or librarian must nominate candidates.
2. Each person may nominate only one person, and must sign the nomination form.
3. Each nomination must be submitted on the correct form.
4. Librarians previously nominated who did not receive the title are eligible to be nominated again.
5. Librarians must be certified and have completed at least three years as a certified librarian in an HISD school.
6. Personnel in the Department of Library Services may neither nominate nor be nominated for this award.
The Houston Association of School Librarians provides grants from the Elenora Alexander Scholarship Fund to encourage certified librarians to attend the annual TLA conference, professional conferences and workshops. Librarians may also use this scholarship to pursue college credit in academic work related to the field of librarianship.
Currently this scholarship fund is managed by retired librarian Debbie Hall. The funds from this scholarship were donated by the first HISD director of Library Services, Elenora Alexander.Rules for participation in the Elenora Alexander ScholarshipA committee of librarians who are members of the Houston Association of School Librarians administers the Elenora Alexander Scholarship. The original funds for the scholarship came from a donation by Ms. Alexander, the first head of the Library Services Department and one of the first librarians in HISD. The purpose of the scholarship is to promote professional growth and education. Selection is made by a random drawing of submitted applications.
- Applicant must be a current or retired Houston ISD librarian.
- Application must be submitted by the established deadline.
- Applicant must be a current member of the Houston Association of School Librarians.
- Winners must submit documentation of their expenses in a timely manner. The following types of expenses may be submitted: registration fees, hotel expenses, transportation costs, or textbook fees.
- Librarians who receive scholarship funds must wait three years before applying again.
- Two $250 scholarships will be given each year.