Students shall be assessed for identification as gifted and talented according to TEC §29.122; TAC §89.1; HISD Board Policy and the Student Assessment section of the Texas State Plan for the Education of Gifted/Talented Students.
Students in grades K-12 are eligible for assessment and, if identified as G/T, are provided services (TEC 29.122 and 19 TAC §89.1(3));
- All students living within HISD and not currently G/T-identified in HISD are eligible for G/T assessment once per school year;
- All HISD kindergarten and fifth grade students not currently G/T-identified are assessed;
- Assessment criteria is specified on the HISD G/T Identification Matrix;
- All assessments are administered during established testing schedules/timelines by trained HISD staff at the student’s current HISD school or a location designated by the Gifted and Talented Department;
- Assessments from outside sources are not accepted;
- Students must be five years old on or before September 1st of the given school year to be eligible for Entering Kindergarten Gifted and Talented testing;
G/T Testing 2020-2021
G/T Testing Window application deadline: November 11, 2021
***November 6, 2021 Deadline is for both Vanguard Magnet applicants AND G/T Neighborhood applicants***
PLEASE NOTE (Vanguard Magnet applicants):
*Vanguard Magnet applicants that are not G/T-identified in HISD must request G/T testing at either:
1.The HISD school where he/she is enrolled, or, if not enrolled in HISD,
2.The HISD school where he/she is zoned to attend.
Deadline for Vanguard Magnet applicants to request G/T testing:November 11, 2021