Parents of Students Served by Special Education
Knowing that the nature of special education interventions will likely require additional layers of support during virtual learning, therefore your student will receive individualized support from a special education case manager to ensure that their individual needs are met. If there are services, accommodations, and modifications required by the student’s IEP that cannot be provided during virtual learning, the student’s ARD committee must determine which services it can provide to meet the student’s needs (34 CFR 300.324(a)(4).
During virtual learning, ARD Committees will continue to meet to determine the unique needs of students who receive special education services. As a parent, you will need to attend your student’s ARD meetings virtually and serve as an active participant in virtual ARD meetings via Microsoft Teams, email, or phone communications in which you will receive digital copies of your student’s IEP.
In addition, you will be able to access the following:
Students served by special education will have the same access to digital tools as general education students. The digital tools available to students contain features to support student learning and may include the ability to read text to students. Additionally, specific online platforms, such as Imagine Math and Imagine Literacy, provide individualized learning pathways tailored to each student’s educational need. We recommend that your student log on to use these digital tools daily.
Expectations of Students Served by Special Education
- Attend Microsoft Teams live class meetings
- Access lessons and submit assignments in the HUB or as determined by your student’s IEP
- Access to Microsoft Teams with non-disabled peers to the extent possible as determined by your student’s IEP per the ARD committee.
- Access teacher, co-teacher, and/or paraprofessional as determined by your student’s schedule of services outlined in the IEP
- Access individualized curriculum and programs such as the Unique curriculum, Imagine Language and Literacy, Imagine Math as determined by your student’s IEP
- Access supplemental aids, accommodations, modifications, designated supports, assistive technology as determined by the ARD Committee and outlined in your student’s IEP.
- Access virtual related services as determined by your student’s ARD committee.
Special Education Resources