WELCOME TO UIL!Thank you for your interest in University Interscholastic League Academic Activities at Houston ISD.
If you are interested in judging for the University Interscholastic League (UIL) Academic Department at Houston ISD, you have come to the right place. Our department is responsible for coordinating and hosting various academic contests year round including: UIL Academic Tournaments, UIL District Spring Meets, Debate Tournaments, and One Act PlayIf none of this is familiar to you, that's okay! We are seeking individuals to assist in grading and evaluating contest areas at all levels. The only requirements are a high school diploma, the ability to pass a background check, and the willingness to learn!
We offer a range of contests from spelling, mathematics, science, writing, speech, and debate. You do not need to be an expert/major in any subject area to assist since most contests are objectively scored. Meaning, there is an answer key! For our speech and debate activities, we do not require experience as we train our students to adapt to ALL types of audiences and judges.
If you would like more information on the various UIL activities, please visit The Official State UIL WebsiteHow do I get started?Complete the VIPS background check process as outlined below.
Step 1: Orientation Training Click here
- Navigate through the training.
- Sign the certificate at the end, save a copy and send it to the UIL Academics representative you are working with.
Step 2: Background Check Application Click here
- Welcome—No selections needed.
- Personal Information—Please enter your personal information.
- School Preference—Scroll down to Administration and select Hattie Mae White
- Function—Select Future District Wide Volunteer Opportunities
- Organizations—Select UIL Programs
- Disclaimer—Read the disclaimer, then sign.
- Done—Complete the process.
Step 3: Government I.D
- After registering through VIPS, please submit a valid photo ID and send it to the UIL representative you are working with.
So what happens next?After you've completed the registration and are cleared in VIPS, you are redy to judge. Please note, this department includes High School, Middle School, and Elementary School Academics as well as the HISD Debate. For each event, we select a number of people to work for us based on the size of the tournament, judge need, content area needs and logistics - there is no certain need or minimum. It fluctuates each tournament. You may not be selected for every tournament, every time but rest assured, this is not a reflection of you!Happy Judging!