WELCOME TO UIL!Thank you for your interest in University Interscholastic League Academic Activities at Houston ISD.
If you are interested in judging for the University Interscholastic League (UIL) Academic Department at Houston ISD, you have come to the right place. Our department is responsible for coordinating and hosting various academic contests year round including: UIL Academic Tournaments, UIL District Spring Meets, Debate Tournaments, and One Act PlayIf none of this is familiar to you, that's okay! We are seeking individuals to assist in grading and evaluating contest areas at all levels. The only requirements are a high school diploma, the ability to pass a background check, and the willingness to learn!
We offer a range of contests from spelling, mathematics, science, writing, speech, and debate. You do not need to be an expert/major in any subject area to assist since most contests are objectively scored. Meaning, there is an answer key! For our speech and debate activities, we do not require experience as we train our students to adapt to ALL types of audiences and judges. All tournaments include lunch as well as coffee throughout the day. Judging contracts start at $100.
If you would like more information on the various UIL activities, please visit The Official State UIL WebsiteIf you are a full-time HISD Teacher, please go straight to this form: HISD Teachers ONLY.If you have judged with us before, please head straight to the VIPS page to re-certify: VIPS Registration PageHow do I get started?
- First, you must register with Volunteer in Public Schools (VIPS) to clear a background check to ensure you are eligible to work with HoustonISD Students.
- Please visit the VIPS Registration Page to register and submit relevant information.
- Select HISD Administration Bldg. as the school you wish to volunteer with.
- On the preferences page, choose UIL Programs under Organizations.
- After registering through VIPS, please submit a valid photo ID to Mary Sterner, UIL's VIPS Coordinator. You may e-mail her by clicking this link.
- If you have completed the VIPS registration, you are ready to register in our department Judge Database, please click here: Judge Registration and Information Form
So what happens next?After you've completed the registration and are cleared in VIPS, you will be added to our mailing lists. Please note, this department includes High School, Middle School, and Elementary School Academics as well as the Houston Debate Initiatives. The mailing list will invite you to be considered for our upcoming tournaments. The invitation will ask you to fill out a form similar to the registration form, asking for availability, contact information, and content area interests. From there, we select a number of people to work for us on Tournament Days based on the size of the tournament, judge need, content area needs and logistics - there is no certain need or minimum. It fluctuates each tournament. You may not be selected for every tournament, every time but rest assured, this is not a reflection of you!Happy Judging!