BRIARMEADOW CHARTER SCHOOL
Briarmeadow opened in 1997 (as the Galleria-Area School) in leased facilities at 1331 Augusta, but moved into new facilities at 3601 Dunvale in time for the 2001–2002 school year. Named for a nearby subdivision, it was one of 10 schools built with funds from Rebuild 2002.GARDEN OAKS MONTESSORI
901 Sue BarnettThe Garden Oaks community was established in 1937, when Edward Lillo Crain purchased 750 acres and set about developing a new residential neighborhood. The school was completed in 1940 and replaced with a new building in 1981.
GREGORY LINCOLN EDUCATION CENTER
1101 TaftEdgar M. Gregory was a colonel in the Civil War who served with the 91st Pennsylvania Regiment and the New York volunteers. After the war, he was appointed assistant commissioner of the Freedman’s Bureau, which managed relief work, education, labor contract supervision, and court protection in the South after the war. President Abraham Lincoln is credited with preserving the Union during the Civil War. The Gregory Lincoln Education Center opened in 1966. A brand-new facility was completed in 2007.
6302 SkylineThomas Judson Pilgrim joined Stephen F. Austin’s colony at San Felipe as a Latin teacher and Austin’s Spanish interpreter. In later years, he worked as a banker, farmer, and teacher in Gonzales and was a trustee of Gonzales College. The school named for him was built in 1957 at 3315 Barrington for the sesquicentennial of his birth. Originally known as Pilgrim Elementary School, the school changed its name in 2007 to the Pilgrim Academy, to reflect the school’s expansion to serve grades K–8. It moved to brand-new facilities at 6302 Skyline that same year.
BILLY REAGAN K-8
4842 Anderson Rd.This school opened in the fall of 2012 as a relief school for nearby Dowling MS. It is named for HISD’s former superintendent, Billy R. Reagan, who served in that capacity from 1974 to 1986. Its goal is to eventually offer a complete two-way dual language program for students in Spanish and English in grades K-8.
THE RICE SCHOOL/LA ESCUELA RICE
7550 SeussThis school is named for William Marsh Rice (1816–1900), the founder of Rice University. Rice was sensationally murdered by his butler when he was 84, but because he bequeathed most of his estate to the university, by the time it officially opened in 1912 it was one of the wealthiest in the United States. The HISD school named in his honor opened in August 1994.
T. H. ROGERS SCHOOL
5840 San Felipe
Thomas Horace “T. H.” Rogers was principal of San Jacinto High School. He was killed in 1952 when a stray bullet from a police officer's gun, intended for a fleeing burglar, struck him. The campus was a junior high from 1962 to 1979 and is now a mixture of Vanguard programs and programs for students with severe disabilities.
WHARTON K-8 DUAL LANGUAGE
900 West GrayWilliam H. Wharton (1802–1839) came to Texas in 1831 and was active first in the struggle for independence and later in the political life of the republic. A school was named for him in 1929.
WILSON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
2100 YuponWoodrow Wilson Elementary School was built in 1925 as a memorial to the late twentieth eighth President of the United States (1856–1924). The site where it stands was once the summer home of Mirabeau B. Lamar, for whom another HISD school is named.In April 2021, the HISD Board of Trustees voted to rename Wilson Montessori after Ella J. Baker, an African American activist who worked more than 50 years alongside some of the nation’s most noted civil rights leaders of the 20th century.CARTER G. WOODSON PK-8 SCHOOL
10720 SouthviewCarter G. Woodson (1875-1950) was an African-American historian, writer, and journalist who founded the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History, which published the “Journal of Negro History” from 1916 to 2001. He completed his PhD in history at Harvard in 1912, only the second African American to do so. In 1919, Woodson became dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at Howard University, later moving to West Virginia State College. He was author of the definitive college text, “The Negro in Our History,” published in 1922. In February 1926, he introduced “Negro History Week,” which eventually became Black History Month.