ATTUCKS MIDDLE SCHOOL
Crispus Attucks was born into slavery in Massachusetts around 1723 and died in 1770. As a young man, he ran away from home to become a harpooner on a whaling ship. Later, he became a leader of American colonists opposing British troops stationed in Boston. He was killed when British soldiers fired into a crowd of protesters and consequently became an icon of the anti-slavery movement in the mid-19th century. Crispus Attucks Middle School was built in the heart of the historic Sunnyside community in Houston in 1958.
BAYLOR COLLEGE OF MEDICINE ACADEMY AT RYAN (FORMERLY RYAN MIDDLE SCHOOL)
James D. Ryan (1872-1940) was a noted African-American educator, civic leader, and philanthropist who began teaching in Houston in 1890 after graduating from Prairie View State North and Industrial Institute (now Prairie View A&M). He was the principal of Jack Yates High School from the day it opened in 1926 until his death. During his 50-year career in education, Ryan served as president of the Colored State Teachers of Texas and was on the Board of Trustees of Wiley College. He was also on the boards of Emancipation Park, the Houston Negro Hospital, and many other institutions.BAYLOR COLLEGE OF MEDICINE BIOTECH ACADEMY AT RUSK (FORMERLY THE RUSK SCHOOL)
2805 GarrowThomas Jefferson Rusk was a pivotal figure in the creation of the Republic of Texas and was elected one of Texas’ first two U.S. Senators after it became a state. The school named for him, built in 1902, was replaced with a new structure in 1959.The Rusk School is now known as Baylor College of Medicine Biotech Academy at Rusk, a middle school with a medical focus.
BLACK MIDDLE SCHOOL
Frank M. Black started teaching at Houston’s Central High School when he was 23. Later, he was named principal of Travis School and South End Junior High (renamed San Jacinto High School). Black was one of the organizers of Houston Junior College, which is now the University of Houston. Black Middle School was built in 1957.
BURBANK MIDDLE SCHOOL
The original campus opened in 1927 with an educational emphasis on agriculture. The school was named for the famous horticulturalist, Luther Burbank (1849–1926), who developed more than 800 strains and varieties of plants during his lifetime. Among his most well-known creations are the Burbank potato, which helped alleviate the food shortage during the Irish Potato Famine, and such things as the spineless cactus, white blackberries, and the Shasta daisy. Burbank Middle School was rebuilt in 1949.
CLIFTON MIDDLE SCHOOL
6001 Golden Forest
Ruby Sue Clifton was born in 1910 near Crockett, Texas. After a few years of teaching, she began working as a secretary in HISD. She spent 34 years in the Board Services office, retiring as assistant superintendent. Clifton Middle School was built in 1979.
CULLEN MIDDLE SCHOOL
Ezekiel Wimberly Cullen came to Texas from Georgia in 1835 and settled in San Augustine. He served in the Texas House of Representatives where he introduced the plan on which Texas’ free system of schools was founded. Cullen Middle School was built in 1954. In August 2013, students were re-zoned from Ryan MS when it was closed and re-opened as Baylor College of Medicine Academy at Ryan.
DEADY MIDDLE SCHOOL
James S. Deady served as justice of the peace, mayor, and president of the school board of Harrisburg, which was later incorporated into the City of Houston. Deady impressed all who knew him as a wholly unselfish man who always put the welfare of others first. Deady Middle School was built in 1929.DOWLING MIDDLE SCHOOL: RENAMED 2016. See Lawson MS.
EDISON MIDDLE SCHOOL
6901 Avenue I
This school began as Park Junior High and was renamed in 1932 for renowned inventor Thomas Alva Edison. Edison is most famous for his invention of the incandescent light bulb and the phonograph. Edison was awarded a Congressional gold medal for “development and application of inventions that have revolutionized civilization in the last century.” The original Edison Middle School building was completed in 1925.
FLEMING MIDDLE SCHOOL
Lamar Fleming was the president and board chairman of Anderson Clayton, Inc. He was an internationally known authority on the cotton business, and served as a trustee of Rice University, the University of Houston, and the Kinkaid School. Fleming Middle School was built in 1968.
FONDREN MIDDLE SCHOOL
6333 South Braeswood
Walter W. Fondren was a prominent Houston oil man and philanthropist, whose family had extensive land holdings in southwest Houston. After the school was built in 1966, the Fondrens donated land for an access road to the school for the safety of its students.
FONVILLE MIDDLE SCHOOL
725 East Little York
Richard Henry Fonville was the mayor of Houston from 1937 to 1939. A pharmacist, he owned several drug stores in the city. Fonville served on the Board of Health, the HISD Board of Education, and the Houston Fat Stock Show executive committee. Fonville Middle School was built in 1959.
FOREST BROOK MIDDLE SCHOOL
7525 TidwellForest Brook is one of seven campuses annexed by HISD in the summer of 2013, after North Forest ISD was dissolved by the Texas Education Agency. It was originally opened as a high school in 1972.GRAY MIDDLE SCHOOL: RENAMED 2016. See Tanglewood MS.
HAMILTON MIDDLE SCHOOL
139 East 20th Street
The original building, built in 1919, was named Houston Heights Senior High School. In 1925, the name was changed to Alexander Hamilton Senior High in honor of the nation’s first secretary of the treasury and signer of the Declaration of Independence. When Reagan High School opened in 1926, the Hamilton campus became Hamilton Junior High and is now Hamilton Middle School.
HARTMAN MIDDLE SCHOOL
Charles F. Hartman began his Houston teaching career at the old Heights Senior High School (now Hamilton Middle School). He served as principal of both that school and Stonewall Jackson Junior High. Hartman also served as an army officer in both World Wars. Hartman Middle School was built in 1954. A new facility (that retained and renovated the original gymnasiums and auditorium and replaced the rest of the old building with new construction) was completed in 2007.
HENRY MIDDLE SCHOOL
10702 East Hardy
Patrick Henry was a leader and orator during the American Revolution whose stirring call to arms against Britain became a rallying cry for American patriots. His words “Give me liberty or give me death” assured the mobilization of the Virginia militia and Henry’s reputation as one of the most effective speakers in American history. Henry Middle School was built in 1964.
HOGG MIDDLE SCHOOL
James S. Hogg was the first native born governor of Texas. Before his election as governor, Hogg served as the county attorney of Wood County, district attorney for the Old Seventh District, and Texas’ attorney general. The Hogg estate donated the land on which Hogg Junior High School was built in 1926.
HOLLAND MIDDLE SCHOOL
William S. Holland, a native of Indiana, served as head coach and principal of Jack Yates High School and, later, Ryan Junior High. He also served as a trustee on the HISD Board of Education. Holland Middle School was built in 1979.
JACKSON MIDDLE SCHOOL: RENAMED 2016. See Navarro MS.JOHNSTON MIDDLE SCHOOL: RENAMED 2016. See Meyerland Performing and Visual Arts MS.KALEIDOSCOPE/CALEIDOSCOPO—CLOSED APRIL 20126501 Bellaire Blvd.
This school, located in southwest Houston, was actually a combination of three different schools under one roof. One of the schools, Las Américas, served two different student populations and was named for the apartment complex surrounding the building. It served prekindergarten and kindergarten students on the first floor and grades 6–8 on the second. Kaleidoscope, a charter school that occupied the building’s top floor, also served grades 6–8. Las Américas, originally a relief facility for Leroy Cunningham Elementary School, moved to its Glenmont location in 2000, and to 6501 Bellaire Blvd. in 2007.
KEY MIDDLE SCHOOL
Key Middle School was originally built in 1957 as Kashmere Senior High School. When the present Kashmere High was built, the junior-high part of the school was renamed for Francis Scott Key, an attorney who became famous for writing the words to “The Star-Spangled Banner.”
BOB LANIER MIDDLE SCHOOL
Formerly known as Sidney Lanier Middle School, the name was changed effective May 12, 2016. Bob Lanier served as mayor of Houston from 1992 to 1998. His popularity cut across racial, ethnic and political party divides. Bob Lanier won many awards recognizing his achievements, including the Hubert Humphrey Civil Rights Award and the Urban Beautification Award.
LAS AMÉRICAS MIDDLE SCHOOL
6501 Bellaire Blvd.
This school, located in southwest Houston, was actually a combination of three different schools under one roof. One of the schools, Las Américas, served two different student populations, and was named for the apartment complex surrounding the building. It served prekindergarten and kindergarten students on the first floor and grades 6-8 on the second. Kaleidoscope, a charter school that occupied the building’s top floor, also served grades 6–8. Las Américas, originally a relief facility for Leroy Cunningham Elementary School, moved to its Glenmont location in 2000, and 6501 Bellaire Blvd. in 2007.
LAWSON MIDDLE SCHOOL
Audrey Hoffman Lawson (1932-2016) was a community activist and the founding first lady of Wheeler Avenue Baptist Church, along with her husband, Rev. William “Bill” Lawson. Audrey was a social worker by profession who started two charter schools in Houston and turned the Ensemble Theater into one of the most successful African American-owned theater companies in the country. She was the creator of many community education and outreach programs that touched the lives of thousands of Houston students.
LOCKETT JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL—CLOSED JUNE 1968
303 West Dallas
Richard G. Lockett was an African-American educator born in Houston in 1882. Along with fellow teacher and administrator Ernest Ollington Smith, Lockett was instrumental in founding a public library in Houston for African-Americans. He died in 1945. The school named after him opened in 1959 in the old Booker T. Washington High School building at 303 West Dallas.
LONGFELLOW JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL—CLOSED MAY 1961
MARSHALL MIDDLE SCHOOL
The original name of this school was Northside Junior High School. It was renamed for John Marshall, the fourth chief justice of the United States Supreme Court. Marshall Middle School was built in 1913.
McREYNOLDS MIDDLE SCHOOL
Mississippi born John Lowndes McReynolds came to Texas at the age of eight. After studying medicine in college, McReynolds switched to teaching and was eventually appointed principal of John Marshall Junior High. He was the first person to receive the title “Principal Emeritus” from HISD. McReynolds Middle School was built in 1957.
MEYERLAND PERFORMING AND VISUAL ARTS MIDDLE SCHOOL
Formerly named for Albert Sidney Johnston, the school was renamed on May 12, 2016. Meyerland, the neighborhood in which the campus is located, was developed in 1955 by the Meyer family. Today, there are 2,315 homes in the Meyerland neighborhood. The school is home to a performing and visual arts magnet program.
NAVARRO MIDDLE SCHOOL
Formerly known as Thomas Jonathan “Stonewall” Jackson Middle School, the name was changed effective May 12, 2016. Yolanda Black Navarro became a community and city icon through her civic and political leadership. She served Houston well by serving on the METRO Board and the Houston Parks Board, and running for Houston City Council. Before her death, she chaired Mayor Annise Parker’s Hispanic Advisory Committee. Navarro fought for all Houstonians to be treated equally and helped disadvantaged youth by founding Shoes for Kids. She was founder of the Association for the Advancement of Mexican-Americans (AAMA). Navarro was the recipient of the Mayor’s Lifetime Achievement Award, and the East End Chamber of Commerce Small Business Award.
NORTH DISTRICT ALTERNATIVE MIDDLE SCHOOL—CLOSED MAY 2011 -- BECAME CEP CONTRACT CHARTER
Originally located on the same campus as James Berry Elementary School (now at the former Robert Chatham Elementary), this facility serves students who are having difficulty adjusting to a traditional classroom setting. The school allows students to continue their academic instruction while beginning to develop effective and appropriate self-management skills and coping strategies. It opened in 2003.
ORTIZ MIDDLE SCHOOL
Daniel Ortiz was a native Houstonian whose career with HISD spanned 33 years. He went from history teacher to deputy superintendent and was voted outstanding teacher of the year for 19791980. He also founded and served as president of the Mexican American Association of School Educators. His school is one of 10 built with funds from Rebuild 2002.
PERSHING MIDDLE SCHOOL
General John J. Pershing fought successfully against Pancho Villa in Mexico with a group of African-American soldiers, resulting in his nickname, “Black Jack.” He served during World War II in France and became chief of staff of the U.S. Army in 1921. Pershing Middle School was built in 1928 and was originally located next to West University Elementary School. In 1949, the school was moved to a new facility at 7000 Braes. In January 2007, construction was completed on another new facility located right next to the old one at 3838 Bluebonnet Boulevard.
PIN OAK MIDDLE SCHOOL
Pin Oak Middle School, a long-awaited addition to the southwest side of town, relieved overcrowded conditions at Pershing Middle School when it opened in the fall of 2002. One of 10 schools built with funds from the Rebuild 2002 bond issue, it was named in honor of the Pin Oak Charity Horse show, which took place annually on the property where the school stands.
REVERE MIDDLE SCHOOL
10502 Briar Forest
Paul Revere was an American patriot who worked as an engraver and silversmith. He is remembered for his ride before the Revolutionary War to warn others of a planned British attack. Revere’s silverware was among the finest produced in America during his era. Revere Middle School was built in 1980.
RYAN MIDDLE SCHOOL—CLOSED MAY 2013
E.O. SMITH EDUCATION CENTER—CLOSED MAY 2011
This school was the first black junior-high school in HISD. It was named after the first principal of Phillis Wheatley High, Ernest Ollington Smith. From its earliest days, E. O. Smith students have excelled at academics and sports. The school dominated area basketball for nine straight years. Smith Middle School was built in 1913. The E.O. Smith Education Center was closed and students were re-zoned to Jackson MS, Gregory Lincoln MS, Key MS and McReynolds MS. The school re-opened as Young Men’s College Preparatory Academy in August 2011.
STEVENSON MIDDLE SCHOOL
9595 WinklerWilliam Irving Stevenson was a noted educator and the first principal of Charles Milby High School, which opened in 1925. The school named after him was originally intended to serve as a relief school for James Deady Middle School; however, students from east of the Gulf Freeway and north of Telephone Road also attend Stevenson. The school opened its doors in January of 1994.SUGAR GROVE MIDDLE SCHOOL
8405 BonhommeSugar Grove was originally opened as a relief elementary campus in February 1995 in southwest Houston, but began transitioning to a middle school in 2010 by serving students in grades 4–7. In the fall of 2012, it became a true middle school, and has served students in grade 6–8 ever since. The school was built in a church facility on six acres of property the district purchased. Repairs and renovations to the campus were completed in January of 1999. It is named after the community it serves.TANGLEWOOD MIDDLE SCHOOL
5215 San Felipe
Formerly Grady, the school was renamed in the spring of 2016. Although originally built as an elementary school in the 1940s, Tanglewood reopened as a middle school in 1992 after a period of use as an administration building. The original school building was built on what is currently the site of Neiman Marcus in the Galleria. In 1950, the school was relocated to its present 10-acre site at Sage and San Felipe, which was donated by Tanglewood developer William Farrington. The Tanglewood neighborhood opened in 1949 and is named after "Tanglewood Tales" by Nathaniel Hawthorne, a favorite book of Framington's daughter.
TERRELL MIDDLE SCHOOL—CLOSED IN MAY 2001
4610 East Crosstimbers
Isaiah Milligan Terrell was born in 1859 in Anderson, Texas. One of the first African-American educators in Fort Worth, he served as principal of Prairie View State Normal and Industrial College (now Prairie View A&M University), as president of Houston College, and as superintendent of Union Hospital and Houston Negro Hospital. Terrell Middle School was built in 1966 and closed in 2001. It now serves as the HISD Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps headquarters.
THOMAS MIDDLE SCHOOL
Albert L. Thomas was a long time United States Representative to Congress. He was a graduate of Rice University and held a law degree from the University of Texas. The present Thomas campus, once a part of Ross Sterling Junior–Senior High, opened in 1968.
WASHINGTON JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL—CLOSED 1980
This school was named for George Washington (1732–1799), who served as the first president of the United States of America. It opened in 1925 and closed in 1980. The following year, the school reopened as the High School for Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice.
WELCH MIDDLE SCHOOL
11544 South Gessner
Louie Welch served as Mayor of Houston from 1964 to 1974. His tenure is remembered today for an aggressive annexation policy, the completion of work on Lake Livingston and Lake Conroe, and the planning of Intercontinental Airport. He was president of the Houston Chamber of Commerce from 1974 to 1985. Welch Middle School was built in 1979.
WEST BRIAR MIDDLE SCHOOL
West Briar Middle School, located on the west side of town, derives its name from the large boulevards on two sides of it: Westheimer and Briar Forest. This school opened its doors in fall 2002 and is one of 10 schools built with funds from Rebuild 2002.
MC WILLIAMS MIDDLE SCHOOL
The first secondary school in the Acres Homes area was named for Reverend McKinley C. (“MC”) Williams, pastor of Antioch Baptist Church. Williams Middle School was built in 1962.