Elementary Schools (K-Z)
KASHMERE GARDENS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
This campus, established in 1949, was named for the residential neighborhood that it serves in northeast Houston.
KAY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—CLOSED 1978
This school opened at 7621 Elm in 1904 as the Harrisburg School, serving African-American students as a part of the Harrisburg Independent School District. In 1952, it was renamed for Savannah Georgia Kay, who served as the school’s first principal, and a new building was constructed at 1616 Hebert. The school closed in 1978 and is now used as a land lab for students at César Chávez High School.
KELSO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Anna B. Kelso Elementary School was constructed in 1951 in honor of an outstanding HISD teacher, principal, and supervisor of handwriting.
KENNEDY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
John Fitzgerald Kennedy Elementary School was built in 1964 as a memorial to the thirty-fifth President of the United States, who was assassinated the year before.
KETELSEN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
This school was named after a local supporter of education: the creator of HISD’s Project GRAD program, James L. Ketelsen. A former CEO of Tenneco, Ketelsen initially conceived of Project GRAD (Graduation Really Achieves Dreams) as a way to increase graduation and college-attendance rates among students at Jefferson Davis High School. The school named in his honor opened in the autumn of 2002 and completely replaced both Mirabeau Lamar and Robert E. Lee Elementary Schools. It was one of 10 schools built with funds from Rebuild 2002.
KOLTER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Jennie Katharine Kolter Elementary School is a memorial to a heroic teacher. She gave her life protecting the children of Edgar Allan Poe Elementary School in 1959 by calmly talking a deranged bomber away from the crowded playground. The school that bears her name opened in 1960. James Montgomery Elementary School is named for a brave custodian who also died in the tragedy at Poe.
LAMAR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—CLOSED IN 2002 See Ketelson ES.
This school, like another in HISD, was named for Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar (1798–1859), the first president of the Republic of Texas and the “Father of Education” in the state. The elementary school named in his honor opened in 1962. It, along with Robert E. Lee Elementary School, was replaced by James Ketelsen Elementary School.
LANGSTON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—See Langston Early Childhood Center
LANTRIP ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Dora B. Lantrip was the first principal of Eastwood Elementary School, which opened in 1916. The name was later changed in recognition of Lantrip’s distinguished leadership. A new facility was completed in 2007 at the same location.
LAW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
12401 South Coast
James H. Law served HISD for 29 years, as a popular athletics director and coach at various schools, as founder of the Principals’ and Classroom Teachers’ Association of Houston, and finally as assistant principal of Wheatley High School. The campus that honors his memory opened the year Law died, 1966.
LEE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—CLOSED MAY 2002. See Ketelson ES
2101 South Street
This school was named after Robert E. Lee, commander of the Confederate Army during the Civil War. Lee, a much loved figure in the South, was respected by Northerners for his military achievements and his outstanding personal character. Lee served as superintendent of West Point and president of Washington College, renamed Washington and Lee after his death. Lee Elementary School was built in 1921 and closed in 2002. It, along with Mirabeau Lamar Elementary School, was replaced by James Ketelsen Elementary School.
LEWIS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
This school, built in 1958, was named for the first poet laureate of Texas. Judd Mortimer Lewis came to Houston from his native New York and in 1900 joined the staff of the Houston Post, where he remained for 45 years. His poetry reflected a love of children, and the school named for him operated in partnership with the nearby Bellfort Academy for years. Lewis served students in grades prekindergarten—3, while Bellfort served those in grades 4 and 5.
LOCKHART ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
In 1962, HISD named this facility for Lucian L. Lockhart (1868–1955), a long-time educator and leader of the African-American business community. He was the father of Ruby Lockhart Thompson, after whom Thompson Elementary is named (see below).
LONGFELLOW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow Elementary School was built in 1955 at 3614 Murworth in honor of the great nineteenth century American poet. A brand-new facility opened on the same site at 3617 Norris in 2007.
LOOSCAN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Adele B. Looscan belonged to a distinguished family of Texas historical figures. Her grandfather was one of Austin's first colonists and founder of Harrisburg, which was named for him (as was J. R. Harris Elementary School). Her father was Judge Andrew Briscoe, first chief justice of Harris County. For her part, Mrs. Looscan was very active in Houston literary and social circles, and she contributed articles to the pioneering A Comprehensive History of Texas. HISD named a school for her in 1936.
LOVE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
1120 West 13th
In 1914, Ben Kiam, a local businessman, donated the land for the first school in the Heights Annex on North Shepherd. The campus moved to its present location in 1923, and a new building was erected three years later. At that time the school was named for William Graston Love, a prominent lawyer and former mayor of the Houston Heights.
LOVETT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
8814 South Rice
Edgar Odell Lovett Elementary School is named for the first president of the Rice Institute, now Rice University. A noted authority on both mathematics and astronomy, Dr. Lovett taught at Johns Hopkins, Princeton, and the Universities of Virginia and Chicago. The school named in his honor opened in 1958, and was replaced with a brand-new facility in 2011.
LUBBOCK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—CLOSED 1969
This school was named for Francis Richard Lubbock, who served as Texas’ governor in 1861. He came to the state in 1836 and opened a general store in Houston the following year, serving as one of the city’s original Chamber of Commerce members. Lubbock also served in the Confederacy during the Civil War. The school named for him opened in 1907 and closed in 1969.
LUCKIE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—CLOSED 1956
Named after Charles W. Luckie, a prominent African-American educator who served on Huntsville’s school board and as an English professor at Prairie View State Normal and Industrial College (now Prairie View A&M University), this school was established in 1909. It was replaced with the facility on Palmer after a fire destroyed the original structure in 1917. The school closed in 1956.
LYONS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
This school was named for Everett Augustus “Squatty” Lyons, a Harris County Commissioner who retired in 1990 after a record 48 years in office. It opened in January of 1993.
MACARTHUR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—CLOSED MAY 2009
Douglas MacArthur Elementary School was named for the five star general who distinguished himself in World War II and the Korean War. The campus was established in 1968.
MACGREGOR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Southmore Elementary School, built in 1921, was renamed in 1930 in honor of Henry F. MacGregor (1855–1923). The New Hampshire born banker and oilman was a noted civic leader in Houston.
MADING ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
8511 CrestmontReagan Webb Mading (1888–1953) came to Houston in 1907 and opened the first drugstore in what was to become a citywide chain. Mading was a great benefactor of such organizations as Baylor College of Medicine and the Southwestern Poliomyelitis Respiration Foundation. A school was named for him in 1959.
MANDARIN IMMERSION MAGNET SCHOOL
6300 Avenue B, Bellaire, TX
Located in what was formerly Gordon Elementary School, this campus was created in the fall of 2012 to give HISD students another valuable dual language option. At the time it was opened, Mandarin Chinese was the most-spoken language in the world.
MARSHALL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Marshall was named for Thurgood Marshall (1908-1993), the first African-American justice on the Supreme Court who fought for desegregation of public schools. He successfully argued Brown v. Board of Education, a 1954 decision that ruled segregated public schools unconstitutional. Marshall began serving elementary students in the fall of 2013.
MARTÍNEZ, C. ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Clemente Martínez Elementary was named for one of the first Hispanic principals in HISD. He also served as an assistant principal and district superintendent during the 1970s. The school named in his honor opened in 1994.
MARTÍNEZ, R. ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Raul C. Martínez Elementary opened in 1994 as a relief school for Leeona Pugh Elementary and others in the area. In 1950, Martínez was inducted into the Houston Police Department, and in 1973, he became the first Hispanic constable elected in Harris County. He died in 1990.
MCDADE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—CLOSED MAY 2011
Jesse Caesar (“J. C.”) McDade was a noted teacher of chemistry at Phillis Wheatley High School and later principal of Frederick Douglass Elementary School. He was also a prominent public speaker as well as a founder and early board member of the first YMCA for black Houstonians. The school named in his honor was built in 1962.
MCGOWEN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
The school was renamed in 2013 in honor of the late Houston City Councilman Ernest McGowen Sr. (1925-2012), who served as a trustee on the HISD Board of Education He was a lifelong champion of public education whose efforts helped establish the first vocational technical high school in HISD. He also secured the observance of Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday as a paid holiday and helped establish Houston’s minority- and women-owned business program, which is still active today. Formerly known as Houston Gardens Elementary, the school opened in 1935.
MCNAMARA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Opened in 1958 as Richmond Elementary School, this campus was renamed in honor of Ila E. McNamara, the school’s first principal (1958–1979).
MEMORIAL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Memorial Elementary School was constructed in 1926 and named for nearby Memorial Park. The City of Houston acquired the park the year before from a prominent Houston family, the Hoggs, who had leased it to the United States Army for use as a training base called Camp Logan during World War I.
MILAM ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—CLOSED MAY 2004
Brunner High School, built in 1912, subsequently became part of HISD and in 1926 was renamed in honor of Benjamin Rush Milam (1788–1835). After distinguished service in the War of 1812, Milam fought for the independence of Texas. He lost his life at the battle in which the Texas army captured San Antonio.
MILLER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—CLOSED 1977
This facility was named for Doris Miller (1919–1944), a naval hero who survived the bombing of Pearl Harbor and continued to serve his country in the Pacific Theatre. He was the first African-American soldier to receive the Naval Cross award for his bravery in battle. The school named for Miller closed in January 1977, and since then has served the district as the Library Services Center.
MILNE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Alan Alexander (“A. A.”) Milne was the twentieth-century author of a beloved series of children’s books about a bear named Winnie-the-Pooh. He died in 1956. The school named in his honor opened in 1991.
MITCHELL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
This school in far southeast Houston was built in 1967 in memory of James Chesley (“J. C.”) Mitchell, long time principal of Judd Lewis Elementary School.
MONTGOMERY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
James Arlie Montgomery was the custodian at Edgar Allan Poe Elementary School in 1959 when a deranged intruder detonated a bomb. Montgomery, who risked his own life to protect the schoolchildren, was killed. Jennie Kolter Elementary School is named for a teacher who also died in that tragedy.
MORENO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
620 East Canino
This school was named for Joe E. Moreno, a Texas state legislator who died in a tragic auto accident on May 6, 2005. The school named for him opened in August of that same year. It was built from Rebuild HISD bond funds, and relieved overcrowding at John Durkee and Northline Elementary Schools.
NEFF ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
8301 Neff St.Opened in 1964, this campus was named for Pat Morris Neff (1871–1952), a lawyer and educator who served as governor of Texas (1920–1924) and president of Baylor University (1932–1948). Previously located at 8200 Carvel, this school began the 2012–2013 school year in a brand new facility at a new location. It was built with funds from the 2007 bond.
NORTH DISTRICT ALTERNATIVE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—CLOSED MAY 2011
Located originally on the same campus as James Berry Elementary School (now at Robert C. Chatham Elementary), this facility served students who had difficulty adjusting to a traditional classroom setting. The school allowed students to continue their academic instruction while beginning to develop effective and appropriate self-management skills and coping strategies. It opened in 1996 and closed in 2011.
NORTHLINE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Like a number of other HISD campuses, Northline Elementary School takes its name from the community in which it is located. The school opened in 1962 on Houston’s north side.
OAK FOREST ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
1401 West 43rd
This campus is named for the residential community that it serves just outside of Loop 610 in northwest Houston. The school opened in 1949.
OATES ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
James Wyatt Oates, son of one of the early settlers of Texas, engaged teachers and established one of the state’s first schools in his home. The campus named for him originally opened in 1929 as a junior-high school and became an elementary school in 1957.
OSBORNE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Built in 1960, this school is named for John G. Osborne, a Houston physician who contributed a great deal to the education of young people. Dr. Osborne taught at Booker T. Washington School and later at Prairie View State Normal and Industrial College (now Prairie View A&M University), where he established the School of Nursing.
PAIGE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Formerly known as both Woodland and James Bowie elementary schools, this school was erected in 1951 and replaced with a new facility at the same site in 2006. The following year it was renamed for Roderick Raynor Paige (1933–), who first served on the HISD Board of Education from 1989 to 1994, at which time he became the district's superintendent of schools. He left the district in 2001 to become the first African-American to serve as U.S. Secretary of Education. Paige resigned in 2004.
PARK PLACE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
8235 Park Place
Opened in 1914, this campus is named for the neighborhood in which it is situated. The school moved to new facilities located just north of the old building over the summer of 2002, but it kept the same address. One of 10 schools built with funds from Rebuild 2002, the new building opened its doors to students in the fall of 2002.
PARKER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Cynthia Ann Parker Elementary School opened in January 1959. It is named for one of the early Texas settlers. She was captured by Comanches at age nine and raised as a member of their tribe.
PATTERSON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Robert C. Patterson was a Tennessee born attorney who practiced in Houston until his death in 1952. The school named in his memory opened in 1957, and a brand-new facility was completed in the fall of 2011.
PECK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Lora B. Peck was a long time HISD teacher and administrator as well as the author of children’s books. The school named for her opened in 1951 and was replaced with a brand-new facility in 2011.
PETERSEN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Massachusetts born Henry A. Petersen was an outstanding surgeon and professor at Baylor College of Medicine. He also served for 23 years on the HISD Board of Education, which named a school in his honor in 1968.
PINEY POINT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Piney Point Elementary School is named for the community in which it is located, which dates back to 1865. The original school was built in 1917 and was replaced with a new facility twice: once in 1962 again in January 2011.
PLEASANTS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—CLOSED JUNE 1991
Sanderson Alexander Pleasants was a noted educator and statesman as well as pastor of St. John’s Baptist Church on Dowling Street. He served there from 1925 until his death in 1953. The school that bears his name opened in 1967 and was located at 1305 Benson. It is now the Pleasant Hill Academy, a charter school.
PLEASANTVILLE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
This school bears the name of the neighborhood that it serves. The campus opened in December 1955.
POE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Edgar Allan Poe Elementary School was named for one of the first great figures in American literature, renowned equally for his lyric poetry, detective and horror stories, and incisive criticism. The school was built in 1928.
PORT HOUSTON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
This campus was named for the community in which it is situated, near the Port of Houston. The school was constructed in 1909, five years before the official opening of the Houston Ship Channel.
PUGH ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Leeona Leroy Pugh was a leading figure in education in Harris County for more than 40 years. He served successively as principal of the Harrisburg School, a superintendent of schools, an assistant state superintendent, and a principal in HISD. The district named a school for Pugh in 1952, the year after his death.
RED ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Samuel Clark Red received the first diploma issued by the University of Texas in 1885. He went on to become a noted physician, established the first hospital in Houston, and organized the Harris County Medical Society. Dr. Red also served on the HISD Board of Education, which named this school in his memory in 1957.
REYNOLDS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
In 1900, James R. Reynolds began a distinguished teaching career, which led eventually to his becoming a trainer of teachers throughout the state of Mississippi. A man of many talents, Reynolds also won recognition in botany and electrical engineering, for his work with the Boy Scouts in Houston, and as the author of Wolf Brother, a collection of poems and essays dedicated to his many students. An HISD school was named in his honor in 1959.
RHOADS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—CLOSED MAY 2011
Built in 1957, the school is named for Joseph James Rhoads, a noted educator who held administrative posts throughout Texas and at the national level (National Vocational Guidance Association, American Academy of Political and Social Science, Office of Civilian Defense, and many other organizations). Dr. Rhoads was the first African-American president of Bishop College and the author of Democracy’s Debt of Honor, Democracy in Education, Charting the New Year, and Advancing the Cause of Democracy in Education.
RICHMOND ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—RENAMED. See McNamara ES
RIVER OAKS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
This campus was named for the nearby residential neighborhood that it serves. The school opened in 1929, just six years after the community south of Buffalo Bayou started being developed.
ROBERTS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Oran Milo Roberts (1815–1898) made many contributions to Texas’ early statehood. After serving two terms as governor, he became the first administrator of the University of Texas in 1883 and taught law there for 10 years. The school that bears his name was built in 1936 and was enlarged in 1948.
ROBINSON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
This school honors the first African-American City Councilman in Houston. Judson Robinson Jr. was elected 10 times to the council and served twice as mayor pro tempore. He worked toward better working conditions for employees in Solid Waste Management, and fought for minority hiring by the Houston Police Dept. and the Houston Fire Dept.
RODRÍGUEZ ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
5858 Chimney Rock
One of 10 schools built with Rebuild 2002 funds, this facility was named after Sylvan Rodríguez, the late KHOU-TV newsman who served as a city and community role model for more than 25 years. The school, located on almost 10 acres in southwest Houston, relieved overcrowded conditions at neighboring Roy Benavídez, Braeburn, Leroy Cunningham, and Samuel Red Elementary Schools. It opened during the first week of 2002.
T. H. ROGERS SCHOOL
5840 San Felipe
Thomas Horace Rogers was the principal of San Jacinto High School. He was killed in 1952 when a stray bullet from a police officer’s gun, intended for a fleeing burglar, struck him. The campus was a junior high from 1962 to 1979 and is now a mixture of Vanguard programs and programs for students with severe disabilities.
ROGERS, W. ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—CLOSED MAY 2006
Will Rogers Elementary School, built in 1950, was named after the popular “cowboy philosopher” from Oklahoma, who was famous for his homespun humor and shrewd commentary about current events. It was sold in 2005 along with the district’s former headquarters, Human Resources building, and Weslayan complex (located at 3830 Richmond Avenue) for development as commercial property.
ROOSEVELT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Theodore Roosevelt Elementary School was built in 1929 in memory of the twenty sixth President of the United States. A brand-new facility was built with funds from the 2007 bond. It was completed in the fall of 2011.
ROSS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Betsy Ross Elementary School, built in 1924, is named for the famous seamstress who sewed the first official flag of the United States for George Washington in 1777.
RUCKER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Pearl Rucker served HISD as an art teacher and supervisor for more than 30 years and was recognized throughout the state for her creative talent. A school was named for her in 1953.
RYAN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—CLOSED MAY 2005
James D. Ryan Elementary School, built in 1954, was named for a noted African-American educator, civic leader, and philanthropist who began teaching in Houston in 1890. During his 45 year career, Ryan served as president of the Colored State Teachers of Texas, on the Board of Trustees of Wiley College, and as a member of the boards of Emancipation Park, Houston Negro Hospital, and many other institutions.
SÁNCHEZ ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
George Isidoro Sánchez (1906–1972) was a national authority on bilingual education and the social problems of Hispanics in this country. He taught the history and philosophy of education at the University of Texas, where he also served as chairman of the History Department in the 1950s. The school named for him opened in 1985.
SANDERSON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—CLOSED MAY 2006
James Charles Sanderson Elementary School was built in 1950 as a tribute to an educator who devoted many years of outstanding service to HISD.
SANDS POINT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—CLOSED SUMMER 2009
10550 West Office
Opened in 1998 as a relief school for Ralph Waldo Emerson, Piney Point, and Walnut Bend Elementary Schools, this school is actually located in Alief ISD—just outside HISD’s western boundary. It is housed in the Chinese Consulate Building, where HISD rents space. The school is named for a nearby street in the neighborhood.
SCARBOROUGH ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
3021 Little York
Walter Welborn Scarborough, who served as a principal of James Berry and Ethel Coop Elementary Schools, worked diligently to improve educational opportunities for students in north Houston. The school named for him was built in 1952, a year after his death, and enlarged in 1959. Scarborough was married to Florine Davis Scarborough, who was superintendent of elementary schools and a principal of Coop Elementary School. A high school was also named for his brother.
SCHOOL AT POST OAK, THE—CLOSED IN MAY 2007
This school was established in May 2001, in cooperation with the Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) of Greater Houston. It was housed in the Post Oak YMCA branch building on Augusta Street. In 2007, the school moved to a new facility called The School at St. George Place, on which construction was completed the previous year.
SCHOOL AT ST. GEORGE PLACE, THE
Opened in 2006, this school was named for the community it serves. It is located near the Galleria shopping center at 5430 Hidalgo.
SCOTT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—CLOSED MAY 2011
Emmett J. Scott had a long and fulfilling career, in which he served as secretary to Booker T. Washington, held important posts with the U.S. Department of War and Howard University, and edited the Texas Freeman, which later merged with the Houston Informer. In 1959, HISD named a school for this prominent figure in black history.
SCROGGINS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Mary E. Scroggins (1916–1964) was a popular teacher at Charles Eliot Elementary School and an influential member of the Denver Harbor community. The school that bears her name was built in 1968.
SEGUlN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Seguín Elementary School was named for Juan N. Seguín, a San Antonio resident who fought against Santa Anna in 1835 during the Texas Revolution. Seguín also served as that city’s provisional mayor and survived the first part of the Alamo siege. The school named for him opened in the fall of 2002. It is one of 10 schools built with funds from Rebuild 2002.
SHADOWBRIAR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
This school, like several others, is named for a nearby subdivision in the area it serves in west Houston. It opened in the fall of 1992.
SHADYDALE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
5905 TidwellShadydale Elementary School is one of seven campuses annexed by HISD in the summer of 2013, after North Forest ISD was dissolved by the Texas Education Agency. It was built in 2000.
SHARPVIEW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—CLOSED MAY 20047734 Mary Bates Blvd.Opened in August of 2000 as a relief school for the Sharpstown area, this school rented space from a Buddhist temple in southwest Houston and served grades prekindergarten–3.
SHEARN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
9802 Stella Link
Charles P. Shearn was the scion of a prominent Houston family and a teacher of history and military science at San Jacinto High School. He was captured by the Japanese during World War II at Corregidor and lost his life in December 1944 when the ship carrying him to a prison camp was sunk. The school named in memory of him was built in 1954.
SHERMAN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
The Cascara School opened in 1893 and was renamed in 1906 for Sidney Sherman, a Kentuckian who headed an army of volunteers in the battle against Santa Anna. The original structure, the second-oldest school in the city, was demolished and rebuilt in 1967.
SINCLAIR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Thomas Albert Sinclair was a noted physician, one of the founders of Heights Hospital, and a prominent civic leader. The school that bears his name opened in 1959.
SMITH EDUCATION CENTER—CLOSED MAY 2011
Ernest Ollington Smith was the first principal of Phillis Wheatley High School. The school was built in 1913.
SMITH ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Opened in 1954, this campus is named for educator Katherine Hoyt Smith (1896–1970). For 40 years, she taught at the White Oak Community School, near where Smith Elementary School stands today.E.O. SMITH ELEMENTARY SCHOOL -- CLOSED MAY 20111701 Bringhurst
Ernest Ollington Smith was the first principal of Phillis Wheatley High School. The school was built in 1913.
SOUTHLAND ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—RENAMED 1980. See Thompson ES
SOUTHMAYD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
In 1835, Joanna Kent Southmayd left her native Vermont to accompany her missionary husband to Texas, where she became the first teacher in the Harrisburg area. In 1936, HISD commemorated this pioneer by building a school near the site where her one-room schoolhouse once stood.
ST. GEORGE PLACE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—See School at St. George Place
STEVENS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Lulu M. Stevens (1881–1943) was HISD’s director of music for many years. The school built in memory of her opened in 1952.
STEVENSON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—CLOSED MAY 2011
Cottage Grove High School first opened its doors in 1915. In 1927, the building was remodeled and renamed for the famous poet and author Robert Louis Stevenson (1850–1894).
SUNNYSIDE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—RENAMED 1999. See Young ES
SUNSET HEIGHTS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—RENAMED. See Alamo ES
SUTTON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
William S. Sutton Elementary School, built in 1958, was named for a distinguished educator. A professor and dean at the University of Texas and later president of the University of Houston, Sutton was superintendent of Houston schools from 1887 to 1897.
THOMPSON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
In 1980, the HISD Board of Education renamed Southland Elementary to honor Ruby Lockhart Thompson, who retired after 46 years of service to the district as a teacher and administrator. Thompson taught at Bruce Elementary School, served as principal of George Turner and Twenty-Third Street elementary schools, and became the district’s first black female supervisor. She is the daughter of Lucian Lockhart, for whom Lockhart Elementary is named.
TIJERINA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Felix Tijerina (1905–1965) was a leading figure in Houston’s Hispanic community. He founded a chain of popular restaurants and held important positions with such organizations as the League of United Latin-American Citizens (LULAC), the Variety Boys’ Club, the Rotary Club, Boys’ Harbor, and the Houston Symphony Society. The school named for him was built in 1980.
TINSLEY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
11035 Bob White
Tinsley Elementary School is one of 10 schools built with funds from Rebuild 2002. Tinsley opened in autumn of 2001 and relieved overcrowded conditions at Ralph Anderson and Horace Elrod Elementary Schools. It was named for former City Council member Eleanor Tinsley, who also served on the HISD Board of Education and played a pivotal role in the campus-beautification SPARK (school park) program.
TRAVIS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
William Barrett Travis, a former teacher, was the leader of the 180 Texans who lost their lives in the cause of independence at the Alamo in 1836. The Beauchamp Springs School, built in 1903, was renamed in his memory and enlarged in 1908, 1926, and 1980. The original structure has since been razed.
TURNER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—CLOSED MAY 2009
Built in 1929 as William Sutton Elementary School, this campus was renamed in honor of the Reverend George B. M. Turner, who came to Houston in 1899 and began a 35 year career as educator and civic leader. He taught at Frederick Douglass Elementary School and served as principal of Frances Harper Alternative and Richard Brock Elementary Schools.
TWAIN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
In 1950, HISD named this campus after Mark Twain, the famous pseudonym of author Samuel Clemens (1835–1910), who wrote the classic novels The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. A brand-new replacement facility opened at the same address in 2006.
TWENTY-THIRD STREET ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—CLOSED MAY 1959. Renamed. See Holden ES
VALLEY WEST ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
10707 South Gessner
Valley West opened as a new school in August 1996 in 10 classrooms on the campus of Sugar Grove Elementary. HISD subsequently purchased a building that had been a Food Lion grocery store and started remodeling the building. Valley West moved into this location on South Gessner in July 1997. The school takes its name from the adjacent Braeburn Valley West subdivision it serves.
WAINWRIGHT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Jonathan Mayhew Wainwright (1883–1953) served in both World Wars. After his release from a Japanese prison camp in 1945, he was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor and promoted to general. The school that bears his name was built in 1962.
WALNUT BEND ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
10620 Briar Forest
Like several other HISD campuses, this one is named for the community that it serves. The school opened in 1964 and was replaced with a brand-new facility in 2007.
WESLEY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Mabel B. Wesley was Houston’s first African-American female principal and mother of Carter Wesley, the publisher of the Houston newspaper “Forward Times.” The firstborn child born to slaves on a plantation in Montgomery County, she earned her bachelor’s degree from Prairie View A&M in 1930.
WEST UNIVERSITY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Opened in 1925, this school was named for the small residential township that it serves.
WHIDBY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Tina E. Whidby (1892–1945) was a prominent civic leader, teacher, and principal for 25 years. The school named for her was built in 1960.
WHITE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Edward H. White Elementary School, opened in 1966, was named for the first astronaut to “walk” in space during the Gemini IV Mission. Lieutenant Colonel White and two other astronauts lost their lives in a fire aboard the Apollo I the following January.
WHITTIER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
10511 La Crosse
John Greenleaf Whittier Elementary School is named for the famous New England poet (1807–1892). The campus on the east side of town opened in 1948.
WINDSOR VILLAGE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
The main building of this school opened in 1960, and a second wing was added four years later. Both the name of the surrounding housing development and the school that serves it reflect a British motif popular in the late 1950s and early 60s.
WOODLAND ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—See Bowie ES
YOUNG ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Originally known as Sunny Side, this school was renamed in June 1999 to honor Ethel Mosley Young, an HISD educator who began teaching there when it was just a two-room schoolhouse without electricity, heat, or indoor plumbing. Under Young’s leadership as principal, the school became a thriving facility serving close to 1,400 children. Young retired after 38 years of service, and the Sunny Side community petitioned the HISD Board of Education to rename the school in her honor.