How Do I Move Assets Between Investment Providers Within the HISD Plan?

  • Beginning April 7, 2010, active HISD employees must obtain an Eligibility Certificate for all in-service exchange requests initiated under the HISD 403(b) and 457(b) retirement plans. Eligibility Certificates are generated only through Retirement Manager, and replace the need for a Plan Administrator’s Signature on the transaction forms. Please see the list of investment providers eligible to receive exchanges within the HISD 403(b) and 457 retirement plans.
    Most investment provider contracts are eligible to accept in-service exchanges. Also, investment provider contracts may accept transfers and rollovers of funds into the HISD 403(b) plan contracts, provided a separate account is established (no comingling) and maintained for such funds. Investment provider deferred sales charges and withdrawal penalties may apply to assets exchanged or transferred out of a provider contract. Please contact the investment providers for details. The provider list may change without notice.
    STEP 1:
    Contact the receiving investment provider and confirm their eligibility to receive the in- service exchange. Request exchange forms from the receiving provider. The receiving provider often assists the employee throughout the in-service exchange process.
    STEP 2:
    Contact the transferring investment provider and request in-service exchange forms if required by transferring provider. Investment provider withdrawal penalties and deferred sales charges may apply to assets exchanged (transferred) to the contract of another investment provider.
    STEP 3:
    Access the in- service exchange Eligibility Certificate from Retirement Manager, and print. ALL CERTIFICATES MUST HAVE A CERTIFICATE NUMBER AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE.
    Obtain an In-Service Exchange Eligibility certificate from Retirement Manager.
    Retirement Manager uses eligibility certificates to pre-qualify you to transfer funds between HISD approved vendors. To begin requesting a certificate log in to My Retirement Manager and select “Request a Withdrawal” from the left menu on the home page.

    A. Select a plan:

    To request a withdrawal (an In-Service Exchange is classified as a withdrawal), first select your retirement plan. Make your selection from the plans that are eligible for in-service exchanges.


    Retirement Manager will display a pop-up window informing you if you are transferring all or a portion of your total account balance, it is important that you confirm with your current investment provider if there are any fees or penalties that will be charged against your account. Click the “Close” button to continue.

    B. Complete your in-service exchange request:

    Retirement Manager will list all of the accounts that are currently held by an active provider. You have the option of either checking the box for a full disbursement or entering in a specific amount. Once this is done, click on “Submit” to proceed to your certificate. If you do not see your investment provider listed, you may manually select your provider by using the boxes on the screen for your current investment provider and  your new investment provider. You also have the option of either checking the box for a full disbursement or entering in a specific amount. Click on "Add Request" before clicking on "Submit".
    D. Confirmation/Print Certificate(s):
    If you are eligible for your in-service exchange request, the confirmation page will also contain a link to print your certificate(s). If your request was not approved, a message will display, contact your employer with any questions.
    STEP 4:
    Submit all forms to the investment provider that will receive the funds, or as otherwise instructed by the investment providers.
    If you need assistance, please contact the Retirement Manager Support Line at 1-866-294-7950. The support line is available Monday – Friday, 7:00am to 6:00pm CST (excluding holidays).