Return to Headlines

I am ready to retire. What do I do first?

The first step is to call the Teacher Retirement System of Texas and request an Estimate of Retirement Benefits packet. The toll free number for TRS is 1-800-223-8778. Employees are responsible for requesting their own packet. The Retirement Storefront is an HISD office and therefore cannot provide a retirement packet to an employee. 
If you are an active employee, you must work with the Retirement Storefront for the proper coordination of processes within HISD. You must sign the proper paperwork with the Storefront in order to be retired from HISD. This would include a request to be paid for any leave time you are eligible for, which is only payable upon RETIREMENT (not resignation).
Retirement does not happen automatically if you have worked only with TRS in this process.