Technology upgrades at all HISD schools ($100,000,000)
The 2012 bond allocated funding for network improvements and wireless expansion.Project Status
The scope of this work includes the addition of wireless access points, cabling, and other infrastructure equipment, such as network switches and Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP). These improvements will allow for the expansion of digital instruction, as well as safety and security improvements like telephones in classrooms. The VoIP project started in September 2015 with the goal of upgrading district locations according to a phased schedule. The project is broken into 10 groups or phases. Thus far, seven groups of schools have been completed. The following group of schools were completed during the second quarter of 2017: Burnet ES, Bush ES, Carrillo ES, Fleming MS, Franklin ES, R.P. Harris ES, Harvard ES, Middle College HS at Gulfton, Middle College HS at Fraga, J.P. Henderson ES, Hobby ES, Holland ES, Houston Academy for International Studies, Jordan HS for Careers, Kolter ES, Lyons ES, R. Martinez ES, Neff ES, Poe ES, River Oaks ES, Scarborough ES, Scroggins ES, Sinclair ES, School at St. George Place, Travis ES, Twain ES, and West University ES.The next group of schools is in the initial phase. Equipment has been ordered and site surveys are underway. The schools in this group are: Debakey HS for Health Professions, Wisdom HS, Foster ES, C. Martinez ES, Oates ES, Pleasantville ES, Red ES, Ross ES, Challenge Early College HS, Stevens ES, Daily ES, Jefferson ES, Edison MS, MacGregor ES, Hogg MS, Longfellow ES, Arabic Immersion Magnet School, Robinson ES, Elmore ES, Shadydale ES, Gross ES, Herod ES, Codwell ES, Mickey Leland College Preparatory Academy for Young Men, Hilliard ES, Marshall ES, Horn ES, Lovett ES, Furr HS, Milby HS, McGowen ES, McReynolds MS, Thomas MS, Peck ES, Woodson PK-8, Jane Long Academy, Navarro MS, Deady MS, Hamilton MS, Lawson MS, Ortiz MS, Fondren MS, Forest Brook MS, Key MS, Marshall MS, Northside HS, Sam Houston MSTC, North Forest HS, Yates HS, HSPVA, Energy Institute HS, Sharpstown HS, Scarborough HS, and Parker ES.The VoIP project is on schedule to be completed by December 2017. For more information, please visit HoustonISD.org/voip.District athletic facility improvements ($44,675,000)
Replacement of regional field house(s) and athletic facility improvements.Project informationMiddle school restroom renovations ($35,000,000)
Renovations of the restrooms in middle schools across HISD.Project Status
Safety and security improvements ($17,300,000)
- Phase I – JOC (Attucks, Deady, Fonville, Meyerland, Key, McReynolds, Pershing, West Briar): Projects are 100% complete.
- Phase II – JOC (Meyerland, Pershing, West Briar, Deady): Projects are 100% complete.
- CSP Group 1 – Bid package 2 & 3: (Meyerland, Pershing, West Briar) 100% construction completed. (Attucks, Deady, Fonville, Key, McReynolds) 100% construction completed.
- CSP Group 2 – Package 5: (Clifton, Henry, Welch) 100% complete.
- CSP Group 2 – Package 6: (Fondren, Hartman, Thomas) 100% complete.
- CSP Group 2 – Package 7: (High School Ahead Academy, Navarro, Lanier, Black) 97% complete. Punchlist pending.
- CSP Group 2 – Package 8: (Burbank, Edison, Hamilton, Marshall) 97% complete. Punchlist pending.
- CSP Group 2 – Package 9: (Ortiz, Stevenson, Holland, Sugar Grove, Williams) 97% complete. Punchlist pending. Substantial completion date scheduled for third quarter of 2017.
- CSP Group 3 – Package 4: (Fleming, Long, Pin Oak) 97% complete. Punchlist pending.
Improvements include fencing, security cameras and access control.Project Status
All projects have been completed, and there are no funds remaining for safety and security improvements. The following projects have been completed with 2012 Safety & Security funds:
Land acquisition ($55,800,000)
- Controlled Access - 285 campuses completed, 4 access control upgrades
- Security Camera upgrades - 6 CCTV upgrades
- Fire Alarm upgrades - 1 fire alarm upgrade
Funds to supplement significant site/parking constraints.Project Status
With all purchases complete under the 2012 bond program, the Real Estate department is maintaining and renewing current lease agreements as needed, assisting project managers with land planning issues, and searching for possible sites for future development. The department also finalized the development of a centralized database of key documents for all HISD properties.
Last Updated: 07/27/2017