How does HISD plan to use the $100 million included in this bond proposal for technology?Technology projects identified in the bond program include:
Why is the Wi-Fi expansion and implementation needed?
- Instructional delivery devices, such as projectors, interactive television/whiteboards will be installed in classrooms across the district. This will provide teachers with a common ground to share and collaborate with one another through a standard, interactive learning environment. Telephone systems at schools throughout HISD will be updated to ensure that every permanent classroom is equipped with a fully functional telephone. This upgrade is necessary to enhance classroom safety.
- The wireless network at every HISD school will be expanded to provide internet access throughout the campus.
- Outdated network equipment throughout HISD will be upgraded or replaced to ensure that all data traffic travels efficiently within and between all schools and to the internet.
- All HISD schools receive annual funds outside of the bond program that are intended for the purchase of classroom computers and other technology.
- The current Wi-Fi infrastructure installed at all campuses was intended primarily for administrative functions and allows limited instructional use. With the availability of more robust and richer content in online instructional resources, as well as an increased number of mobile devices, there is need for additional secure wireless access.
- Each school has tablets and laptops available for use in the classroom, meaning that as many as 30 devices are in use in close proximity. Expanding the district's Wi-Fi capability at all campuses allows us to provide sufficient access for use of a high number of devices and also supports our mobile learning initiative in a cost-effective way.