Framework (What’s Required):
Related services means transportation and such developmental, corrective, and other supportive services as are required to assist a child with a disability to benefit from special education, and includes speech-language pathology and audiology services, interpreting services, psychological services, physical and occupational therapy, recreation, including therapeutic recreation, early identification and assessment of disabilities in children, counseling services, including rehabilitation counseling, orientation and mobility services, and medical services for diagnostic or evaluation purposes. Related services also include school health services and school nurse services, social work services in schools, and parent counseling and training. (CFR 300.34(a))
Manager of Services for Students with Auditory and Visual Impairments, Program Specialist—Team Lead of Services for Students with Auditory and Visual Impairments, Educational Audiologists
Methods (What We Do):
Audiological Services include:
- Identification of children with hearing loss;
- Determination of the range, nature, and degree of hearing loss, including referral for medical or other professional attention for the habilitation of hearing;
- Provision of habilitative activities, such as language habilitation, auditory training, speech reading (lip-reading), hearing evaluation, and speech conservation;
- Creation and administration of programs for prevention of hearing loss;
- Counseling and guidance of children, parents, and teachers regarding hearing loss; and
- Determination of children’s needs for group and individual amplification, selecting and fitting an appropriate aid, and evaluating the effectiveness of amplification.
Audiological services as defined above require a statement of the anticipated frequency, location, and duration of those services.
Audiological management are services in support of instruction and do not need a statement of anticipated frequency, location, and duration. Most services provided by Educational Audiologists, such as maintaining equipment, fitting ear molds, etc., do not meet the definition of audiological services as defined by IDEA.
HISD Audiological Services Department is located at:
TH Rogers School
5840 San Felipe St.
Houston, TX, 77057